Thursday, June 12, 2014

My June race

                             What happens if I run a 5K.


        I signed up for a 5K back in May that would take place in Dansville on June 8th. I figured I would stand at least some chance, since my best pace was 6:32 per mile. Well of course an issue arose, the race was on a Sunday at 9:00am, which is half an hour before church service started. So I calculated that I could get the race done in about 20 minutes, go get ready, and then be there just in time for service.

         Now the day of the race. I woke up at about 6:00am and there was rain and lightning.   :(  That, actually, did not stay around to long and left at about 8:20. Finally it all was about to begin; we all stood at the starting line, because standing anywhere else would be cheating. :) The race then starts with the people in the front speeding away, leaving me in the middle having to make my way up. I began passing the people in front of me with each opening, making my way up towards the front. As I finally pass second place the halfway mark drew near. At the halfway there was a cone that we would go around then head back the same way. The guy in first went around it with a wide turn. So I thought, "maybe I could make a sharper turn and catch up to him". I then come to the cone (not remembering it had just rained) slipped and got a few cuts when I hit the road. Quickly I returned to my feet and kept going. With a loss of energy from the fall I was just going to try to stay in second. Not to long after, a girl started catching up and then began to pass me! Even as tired as I was, I was not about to lose to a girl. My pride was on the line. :) The end got much closer and at the last 300 feet I boosted ahead, sprinted through the finnish and sat(more like fell) down.

            I came in second place. My time was 19:00 minutes! And I only have God to thank, because I borrow every breath, step and well, everything!






So this is the tale I lived to tell. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment